
Source: The Nut Graph - Is the march really necessary?
Let me put it upfront -- I do not support open demonstrations.
Today marks a historical event where Malaysians everywhere decide to show their dissatisfaction towards the current obscured election procedures. Thousands of citizens went onto the streets of major towns and marched towards the Merdeka Stadium to demand for a "cleaner and fairer" election. More info at bersih.org.
It was indeed heartening to find that the citizens are now voicing out their hatred towards bias election processes that may have happened in the past. Yet, while we all know in our head that Malaysia is a country that doesn't validate the freedom of speech and of expression, these demonstrations are basically illegal when it comes to the face of law.
Suppose I am not siding any of the parties, movements, or organizations. I am speaking as a young Malaysian who decides to stay at home just so that he can see the incident from the third party point-of-view. My question is, how effective is this demonstration going to be?
Whether or not the Government is going to take into considerations the eight demands as stated by the steering committee of Bersih, the destruction and inconvenience this incident has cost to July 9, 2011's Malaysia is irreparable. The streets are blocked, the people are arrested, tear bombs were fired, and let's just cross fingers that no one get injured from this event. And it is only half past the afternoon of today.
If we call ourselves a developing country, we should act like one -- doing things in a civilized way.
I know many will criticize cowards like me who sits at home and watch the game, but let me tell you, I am not alone. There are millions of Malaysians who thinks today's march is totally unnecessary. At least people I know will ask me to stay home rather than going out to support such hazy demonstration.
At least 70,000 people supported the event today. If these 70,000 people can stay home and educate one of their younger ones how to be a person/leader of integrity in the future, then 140,000 people will make a better Malaysia...since the future does lay in the hands of the iGeneration -- Way more effective than marching on the road, eating tear bombs and getting into lock-ups.
I believe there isn't one great way to do certain things. And hence I believe that the demonstration today isn't the best way to demand for change.
All we can do now is to let God Himself judge the people involved. I pray for justice, peace and civilization.
Get live feeds on http://anilnetto.com/ or Twitter followers #Bersih